During the COVID-19 Library and School Closure, see the MHS Library website has resources and information for students and parents.
Ask about the Quick & Simple Teen Summer Reading Program with prizes for 7th – 12th graders next time you are at the library!
LOL (Lit Over Lunch) @ MHS.
Meet with other readers in the MHS Library over the A, B, and C lunch hours about once per month throughout the school year to discuss books, have occasional speakers, etc. PRE-REGISTER with Mrs. Fritzell, Mrs. Inhelder or Joa @ MPL. A free lunch (thanks to Friends of the Library) is provided.
Iowa’s only High School Battle of the Books
hosted each spring at Marshalltown High School
For Teen Writers and Artists
Teen Reading & Reviews
an online community to share writing
magazine showcase of teen writers
Letters about Literature Contest
annual contest for students
Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy
Tailored to science fiction/fantasy writers
an international online critique group with special section for teen writers
a site to encourage writing by teens
Scholastic’s website for teen writers and artists
Opportunities for Teen Writers & Artists
Poetry Resources for Teens
Trading Card Leagues
Pokemon League meets year round, with volunteer coordinators, on Thursdays from 4:00-5:30 p.m.
Games like Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic, etc. may be played as well.
The library has a summer volunteer program for teens, 7th-12th grades. Applications start to be available in April for the upcoming summer; limited school year hours may be available for experienced volunteers. Call, stop by, or email Joa at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
Volunteering at the library
Youth who are interested in volunteering at the library on a short-term basis (e.g. to complete service hours for NHS, Silver Cord, Confirmation, Scouts, etc.) should complete the Youth Volunteer Application (Occasional) and submit it to Catherine Noble, Volunteer Coordinator. The library will try to accommodate when possible but needs sufficient advance notice in order to interview the applicant, assign duties, and set a schedule.
- Reach Out – Information & help for all kinds of issues teens are dealing with
- Anti-bullying resources
- MHS Library
- Iowa College Aid Commission – (info about college, financial aid)
- Find out about Accredited Online Colleges in Iowa
- Build vocabulary – and help fight world hunger
- Citing sources in reports
- Do Something – a site for youth interested in getting involved/making a difference
- Information and reviews for teens on all kinds of graphic novels and manga: www.noflyingnotights.com
- Uncover the truth about urban legends, internet scams, and more at www.snopes.com
- Find your favorite bands, singers, and other recommended music
- Find info about all kinds of movies, t.v. shows, and actors
- Historical photos to use in reports/presentations from Library of Congress
- TeensHealth – Drug Abuse Info
Request a Book
To request a book, please use the Contact Us page.