Marshalltown Public Library exists to provide residents of Marshalltown and Marshall County with materials and services that meet their needs for recreation, information, education, and cultural awareness.
The Marshalltown Public library was established as a free municipal library in 1898. It moved to the building at 36 N. Center Street in 1902 after Andrew Carnegie donated $30,000 for the construction of a new library building. The Leise Addition, just west of the original Carnegie building, was added in 1975. The library’s current building, at 105 West Boone Street, was completed in December 2008.
The library is a department of the City of Marshalltown and is funded primarily by municipal tax dollars.
The Marshalltown Public Library meets Iowa public library standards and is accredited by the State Library of Iowa.