The Marshalltown Public Library’s volunteer program connects caring people to a great cause. The library’s dedicated volunteers are an integral part of the library’s operations.
The main purpose of the Volunteer Program is to enhance and extend library services and programs. Volunteers help the library meet and exceed its goals and objectives by providing enthusiasm, added talents, and a fresh perspective.
Library volunteers play an important role as partners in the library’s mission of connecting people to the world of ideas and information.
Volunteers may work on short-term projects or give continuing service over an extended period of time.
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must be in good standing as a Marshalltown Public Library patron
- Must not be on the Sex Offender Registry
- Will not take the place of paid library staff
- Screened to determine their appropriateness to volunteer at the library
- Assessed to determine the best volunteer assignment for them
- Shelving books and DVDs
- Straightening and organizing shelves
- Preparing books for sale in the Book Store
- Reviewing DVD orders as they arrive
- Tech Coaches to help patrons with their smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other devices
- Prairie Garden Volunteers to help weed, mow, compost, mulch, plant and prune
- Helping with annual events such as the book sale, Battle of the Books, Friends of the Library annual appeal, and youth programs.
- To make a valuable contribution of your time and talent
- To become familiar with the library and the services that it offers
- To gain new skills and knowledge
- To help the library extend and expand services
- To support lifelong learning that can strengthen and improve the quality of life in Marshalltown
Complete a volunteer application and return it to the Volunteer Coordinator. For an application, stop by the library or email email@example.com
We try to match our applicants’ interests, abilities, and schedule with available volunteer opportunities.
Questions? Call Volunteer Coordinator Diane Lemker at 641-754-5738 ext. 6.