The Marshalltown Public Library’s volunteer program connects caring people to a great cause. The library’s dedicated volunteers are an integral part of the library’s operations.
The main purpose of the Volunteer Program is to enhance and extend library services and programs. Volunteers help the library meet and exceed its goals and objectives by providing enthusiasm, added talents, and a fresh perspective.
Library volunteers play an important role as partners in the library’s mission of connecting people to the world of ideas and information.
Volunteers may work on short-term projects or give continuing service over an extended period of time.
- Opportunities available for teens and adults
- Background check required
- Will not take the place of paid library staff
- Assessed to determine the best volunteer assignment for them
examples of Volunteer Opportunities
- Shelving books and DVDs
- Straightening and organizing shelves
- Preparing books for sale for the Friends of the Library’s ongoing book sale.
- Tech Coaches to help patrons with their smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other devices
- Helping with annual events such as the book sale, Battle of the Books, Friends of the Library annual appeal, and youth programs.
- To make a valuable contribution of your time and talent
- To become familiar with the library and the services that it offers
- To gain new skills and knowledge
- To help the library extend and expand services
- To support lifelong learning that can strengthen and improve the quality of life in Marshalltown