Check out all of the library's events on our online event calendar!
Get one-on-one help with technology at the library!
Make an appointment at the Check-Out Desk with Katie or Jenelle to get help using library eBooks and other downloadable materials. Call us at 641-754-5738 ext. 2 to set up an appointment.Bring your device and any passwords you might need (i.e. Apple, email, Amazon, etc)
1st and 3rd Tuesdays, 2:00-4:00 p.m.
Group Study Room #1
Get one-on-one help with your device with our tech coach on Tuesday afternoons from 2:00-4:00p.m. Sign up for a half hour appointment by calling the library's Check Out Desk at 641-754-5738 ext. 2
Tech Help Sessions
1st Wednesday of the month, 4:00-6:00 p.m., starting November 1st
Get one-on-one help with your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other device from students in the Marshalltown High School Hyperstream Club! Sign up for a half-hour appointment by calling the library's Check-Out Desk at 641-754-5738 ext. 2. Bring your device and any passwords you might need (i.e. Apple, email, Amazon, etc) Walk-ins are also welcome, but those with appointments will be helped first.
Free Tax Assistance:
Volunteers from the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) assist citizens in electronically filing their income taxes during tax season. Starting in 2017, people must make appointments and meet certain income guidelines in order to have their taxes prepared by AARP volunteers. Sign up for tax appointments will begin on Monday, January 22.
Looking for a good book? Let us help you!
- Stop by a desk to talk to a librarian.
- Try NoveList Plus, a useful online database to locate fiction books by title, author or subject. Create themed book lists or find author read-alikes.
- Have you read all the titles by your favorite author? Check our “If you like...” booklists to find similar authors.
- Check the Best Seller lists on the catalog computers. New York Times Best Seller lists, Publisher's Weekly, and award winners are posted.
- Stop, You're Killing Me!
is a great resource for mystery and suspense fiction readers. This site
features hundreds of authors and complete chronological lists of their
books. It also has alphabetical lists of series characters.
- Check these sites for booklists, reviews, author interviews, and more:
Register for Marshalltown Public Library’s AUTOMATICALLY YOURS program and you will be placed on the reserve list for all the new books by the popular adult fiction authors you choose. (Limit: 5 authors per patron) It’s that easy!
- The goal of AUTOMATICALLY YOURS is to place titles in patron’s hands in a timely fashion. Everyone wants that new book as soon as possible. Now your name will be on reserve lists with very little effort on your part.
- Books by AUTOMATICALLY YOURS authors generally have a shorter, 10-day, circulation period.
- The order of patrons registered for each author will be rotated so that the same patron is not always at the top of the reserve list for a given author. Nor will a patron be at the same point on the reserve lists for all the authors s/he requests.
- Your record will remain on file for the duration. If you ever choose to modify it, complete another form, marking “redo.”
- For more information, contact Sandy at the Check Out Desk or Monica at the Information Desk.
Copy and complete the Automatically Yours form and return via mail, fax or in person to the Check Out Desk. Your name will be added to the reserve list as each new title becomes available.
To meet the needs of distance learning students and institutions of higher learning, the Marshalltown Public Library agrees to cooperate with patrons and educational institutions to support their lifelong learning goals by offering proctoring services.
The Marshalltown Public Library is willing to provide proctoring services based on the availability of staff, facilities, and technology to do so.
Find out more about eligibility and fees in the library's Exam Proctoring Policy.
Call the library's Information Desk at 641-754-5738 ext. 4 for more information.