Adult Summer Reading Program 2015
The theme this summer is "Every Hero Has a Story". Attend six events, read six books, or do a combination of the two to be entered into the grand prize drawing at the end of the summer. We will be drawing for a Kindle Fire, one $20 Amazon gift card, and many great local prizes! Pick up a reading log at the Check-Out Desk to sign up.
Iowa Heroes Bus Tour
CANCELLED--Wednesday, August 5, 8:30AM-5:00PM
Des Moines, IA
Iowa's capital city holds the history of many of our state’s heroes past and present—find out more about our state’s great history with a tour of the Iowa Hall of Pride and State Historical Museum. Join other history lovers and library staff for a fun-filled day! Register by July 22, cost is $30 which includes a seat on the bus and admission to the Iowa Hall of Pride. You can also go on a behind the scenes tour of the museum vault at the State Historical Museum for an extra $10, for a total cost of $40. For more information and a registration form, click here.
Tuesday, August 11, 2:00PM
Community Meeting Rooms
Join us for a discussion of My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira, led by Judy Oswood. This title is the All Iowa Reads pick for this year--libraries and book groups throughout the state will be reading and discussing this book over the course of the year. The book tells the story of a midwife who goes south during the Civil War to help the wounded. Pick up a discussion copy at the Check-Out Desk.
Hero Film Series
Monday, August 31, 2:00 PM
Community Meeting Rooms
Join us for some hot popcorn, cold lemonade, and a discussion after the film led by Tom LaVille. This film is an action comedy that came out in 2009. It tells the story of a mild-mannered security guard at a shopping mall who has to protect the mall from an organized gang of crooks who attempt to take over the mall. It's up to him to save the day! A sequel to this film was released in 2015. For the title of the film, call the library's Information Desk at 754-5738 ext. 4.
Thanks to our sponsors! The Brew House, Culver’s, Dairy Queen (N. 3rd Ave), Fridley Theatres, Friends of the Library , Hy-Vee, KDAO, KIX 101.1, Mama DiGrado’s, Ocean City, The Orpheum, Rainbow Car Wash, Sub City, Taco John’s, and Totem Bowl.
Get one-on-one help with technology at the library!
eReader Help: Monday and Wednesdays from 10:30-11:00AM.
Make an appointment at the Check-Out Desk to get help using library eBooks and other downloadable materials. Call us at 641-754-5738 ext. 2 to set up an appointment.Bring your device and any passwords you might need (i.e. Apple, email, Amazon, etc)
Tech Help: Tuesdays from 10:00am-12:00pm, beginning July 7.
Make an appointment at the Check-Out Desk to get help from a volunteer tech coach in using your tablet, laptop computer, smart phone or to get help doing something on the library's computers. Call us at 641-754-5738 ext. 2 to make an appointment. Walk-ins will also be helped, but those who make appointments will be helped first. Bring your device and any passwords you might need (i.e. Apple, email, Amazon, etc)
Baffled by my eReader
Come and get one-on-one help from library staff with your eReader! Bring your library card, any passwords you might need, and your device to get help! We offer sessions in the fall and spring.
Teen Tech Help
Check back in October 2015 for more dates!
Get one-on-one help with your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other device from students in the Marshalltown High School Hyperstream Club! Sign up for a half-hour appointment by calling the library's Information Desk at 641-754-5738 ext. 4. Bring your device and any passwords you might need (i.e. Apple, email, Amazon, etc) Walk-ins are also welcome, but those with appointments will be helped first.
Films @ the Library:
The library hosts 3 film discussions each spring and fall, with lively discussion led by local film buff Tom LaVille. Call the Information Desk for titles at 641-754-5738 ext. 4!
Free Tax Assistance:
Volunteers from the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) assist citizens in electronically filing their income taxes during tax season.
2015 AARP Tax Assistance Schedule
Looking for a good book? Let us help you!
- Stop by a desk to talk to a librarian.
- Try NoveList, a useful online database to locate fiction books by title, author or subject. Create themed book lists or find author read-alikes.
- Have you read all the titles by your favorite author? Check our “If you like...” booklists to find similar authors.
- Check the Best Seller lists on the catalog computers. New York Times Best Seller lists, Publisher's Weekly, and award winners are posted.
- Stop, You're Killing Me!
is a great resource for mystery and suspense fiction readers. This site
features hundreds of authors and complete chronological lists of their
books. It also has alphabetical lists of series characters.
- Check these sites for booklists, reviews, author interviews, and more:
Register for Marshalltown Public Library’s AUTOMATICALLY YOURS program and you will be placed on the reserve list for all the new books by the popular adult fiction authors you choose. (Limit: 5 authors per patron) It’s that easy!
- The goal of AUTOMATICALLY YOURS is to place titles in patron’s hands in a timely fashion. Everyone wants that new book as soon as possible. Now your name will be on reserve lists with very little effort on your part.
- Books by AUTOMATICALLY YOURS authors generally have a shorter, 10-day, circulation period.
- The order of patrons registered for each author will be rotated so that the same patron is not always at the top of the reserve list for a given author. Nor will a patron be at the same point on the reserve lists for all the authors s/he requests.
- Your record will remain on file for the duration. If you ever choose to modify it, complete another form, marking “redo.”
- For more information, contact Sandy at the Check Out Desk or Monica at the Information Desk.
Copy and complete the Automatically Yours form and return via mail, fax or in person to the Check Out Desk. Your name will be added to the reserve list as each new title becomes available.