Summer Reading Program 2016
- New to summer reading at our library?
Read this FAQ overview.
Summer Reading FAQ in Spanish.
- Fun Activities - see the Library Events online calendar for info
Printable June 2016 calendar
- Read. Earn Points. Get Prizes.
A reading and literacy skills incentive program is offered each summer. All readers earn points
by stamping their points log when they visit the library; earning points for the number of different stamps they collect.
- Extra Points: Pre-readers and beginning readers may fill out a Read 15 Minutes bookmark (checkmarks on each day where they read at least 15 minutes; no more than one check per day). A completed bookmark = 50 extra points (with the opportunity to turn in 2 completed bookmarks in the summer.). Chapter book readers can earn points by visiting the library, reading, and completing other optional challenges (see bingo sheet below for more detail.)
- Readers trade points for prizes between June 27 and the start of Marshalltown schools in August. (Teens may choose to participate in the points log program OR choose to participate in the "Quick & Simple" Teen Summer Reading option.)
SAMPLE Points Log from 2016 (your real points log stays at the library)
SAMPLE- Bingo (for chapter book readers - your REAL bingo stays at the library)!
You can come into the library
and sign up for your 2016 log ANYTIME in June or July.
but, you can earn MORE points by starting earlier. First day for sign-up: May 23.
PRIZES: See the prize case in the youth dept. starting in May, for the variety of prizes that points can be spent on like sports-themed prizes, endless bubbles, earbuds, swim passes, books, bedtime buddies,
and more! You can also earn a free Blank Park Zoo Pass and an adult/child pair of Iowa Cubs tickets to the August 7 Homerun Reader game, just by reaching certain participation levels.
Points can also be earned on www.bookadventure.com: YOU MUST SIGN UP THROUGH THE LIBRARY to earn be able to transfer book adventure points into points in the library's program. Ask at the library about this option.
dogobooks.com - Kids read & write reviews, earn free books.
Challenge Directions - See Challenge Station at the Youth Desk
These challenges are currently available. More coming soon for your book bingo!
On Your Mark, Get Set, Go Excercise Challenge
Champion for Change Challenge - scroll down to page 2
On Your Mark, Get Set....Explore Iowa! - scroll down to page 3
Get in the Game (or Puzzle) Challenge-
scroll down to page 4
- On Your Mark, Get Set, GO Outside!
- Color Craze Bookmark Challenge
- Food Science Challenge (On your Mark, Get Set, Grow!) coming soon
- Title Scavenger Hunt and the Ready Set Go Scavenger Hunt
(available at library, need to be done at the library.)
- On Your Mark, Get Set, Go! Design Challenge (at library, coming soon online)