Summer Reading Program 2013
- Fun Activities
The activities portion of the Dig Into Reading summer reading program has concluded. See the ONLINE Library Event CALENDAR for other August programs.
Read. Earn Points. Get Prizes.
A reading and literacy skills incentive program is offered each summer. All readers earn points
by stamping their points log each different week they visit the library. Pre-readers and beginning readers can earn prizes by keeping track of the books that they have been read, or those that have been read to them. Chapter book readers can earn points by visiting the library, reading, and completing other optional challenges. Spend your points by the start of Marshalltown schools on August 20.
Points Log - Bingo (for chapter book readers only)
You can come into the library
and sign up for your 2013 log ANYTIME in the summer.
- PRIZES: See the prize case in the youth dept. for the variety of prizes that points can be spent on like flingable frogs, Chinese coins, pizza coupons, scratch 'n sniff bookmarks, slithering wooden snakes, swimming passes, cricket suckers, bathtub squirters, choice of paperback book & more.
- Points can also be earned on www.bookadventure.com: YOU MUST SIGN UP THROUGH THE LIBRARY to earn be able to transfer book adventure points into points in the library's program. Ask at the library about this option.
- Kids who can read chapter books can work on a book bingo sheet, that allows them to earn 25 extra points for each "Bingo." The bingo sheet involves reading different kinds of books, and completing weekly challenges.
Challenge Directions (for those doing the Book Bingo sheet)
- Dig Into Home Safety
- Honor Your Roots - Family Story Challenge
- "Bury a Character" Writing Challenge
- Scavenger Hunt Challenge
- Puzzle Challenge - This challenge must be done at the library.
- Hieroglyphics Challenge - Directions and Alphabet Chart
- Dig Into Trash Challenge + Recommended site for ideas: Spoonful
- Dig to China Challenge (you will need a book avail. at the library)
- "Dig Deep" Character Challenge
- Dig Into Dewey Challenge
- Dig Into Databases Challenge* (includes a FREE SPACE opportunity!)
- Printable Bookplate to add to your prize books (or your own books at home)