Summer Reading Program 2015
- New to summer reading at our library?
Here is an FAQ with an overview.
- Fun Activities - see the Library Events online calendar for info.
Printable June calendar (see Library Events link for more detail.)
- Read. Earn Points. Get Prizes.
A reading and literacy skills incentive program is offered each summer. All readers earn points
by stamping their points log when they visit the library; earning points for the number of different stamps they collect.
- Extra Points: Pre-readers and beginning readers can earn prizes by keeping track of the books that they have been read, or those that have been read to them. Chapter book readers can earn points by visiting the library, reading, and completing other optional challenges. Spend your points by the start of Marshalltown schools.
SAMPLE Points Log for 2015 (your REAL log stays at the library)
SAMPLE- Bingo (for chapter book readers - your REAL bingo stays at the library)!
You can come into the library
and sign up for your 2015 log ANYTIME in June or July.
but, you can earn MORE points by starting earlier. First day for sign-up: May 26.
- PRIZES: See the prize case in the youth dept. starting in May, for the variety of prizes that points can be spent on like flying frogs, super-flyers, scratch'n'sniff bookmarks, Super Smarties (suckers), endless bubbles,
swim passes, books, bedtime buddies,
and more! You can also earn a free Blank Park
Zoo Pass and an adult/child pair of Iowa Cubs tickets to the August 9 game, just by
reaching certain participation levels.
- Points can also be earned on www.bookadventure.com: YOU MUST SIGN UP THROUGH THE LIBRARY to earn be able to transfer book adventure points into points in the library's program. Ask at the library about this option.
- Kids who can read chapter books can work on a book bingo sheet, that allows them to earn 25 extra points for each "Bingo." The bingo sheet involves reading different kinds of books, and completing weekly challenges.
(for those doing the Book Bingo sheet) - more coming soon!
- Be a How-To Hero Challenge
- "Every Story Has a Genre" Challenge
- Puzzle Challenge (needs to be done at the library), ask for puzzle at desk
- "Thanks to a Hero" Challenge
- Printable Bookplate to add to your prize books (or your own books at home)