Summer Reading Program 2017
- New to summer reading at our library?
Read this FAQ overview.
Summer Reading FAQ in Spanish, coming soon.
- Fun Activities - see the Library Events online calendar for info
Printable June calendar. Printable July calendar coming soon.
- Read. Earn Points. Get Prizes.
A reading and literacy skills incentive program is offered each summer. All readers earn points
by stamping their points log when they visit the library; earning points for the number of different stamps they collect. Sign up is between Sunday, May 21 - Sunday, June 11. The child/summer reader must be present at the library to sign up. Readers may stamp their log any day the library is open; please note the summer reading station will close 1/2 hour before the library closes.
- Extra Points: Pre-readers and beginning readers may fill out a Read Every Day Bookmark. (Check a box for each day where a child reads or is read to, no more than one check per day). A completed bookmark = 50 extra points (with the opportunity to turn in 2 completed bookmarks in the summer.). Chapter book readers can earn points by visiting the library, reading, and completing other optional challenges (see bingo sheet below for more detail.)
- Readers trade points for prizes between June 26 and the start of Marshalltown schools in August. (Teens may choose to participate in the points log program OR choose to participate in the "Quick & Simple" Teen Summer Reading option.
SAMPLE Points Log (your real points log stays at the library)
SAMPLE- Bingo (for chapter book readers - your REAL bingo stays at the library)!
You can come into the library
and sign up for your 2017 log ANYTIME in June or July.
First day for early sign-up: May 21.
PRIZES: See the prize case in the youth dept. starting in May, for the variety of prizes that points can be spent on like sports-themed prizes, endless bubbles, earbuds, swim passes, books, bedtime buddies,
and more! You can also earn a free Blank Park Zoo Pass and an adult/child pair of Iowa Cubs tickets to the August 6 Homerun Reader game, just by reaching certain participation levels.
Points can also be earned on www.bookadventure.com: YOU MUST SIGN UP THROUGH THE LIBRARY to earn be able to transfer book adventure points into points in the library's program. Ask at the library about this option.
dogobooks.com - Kids read & write reviews, earn free books.
Challenge Directions - See Challenge Station available beginning June 12
at the Youth Desk and will be posted here, as available.